Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Diabetic "Cheerleaders"

I think it's great that there are people in this world that want to prove that you can live a "normal and "healthy" life despite having diabetes.  I think those people are wonderful; I really do.  However, I sometimes feel like they cross a line and it makes me want to smack them.

I will be the first to say it.  Having diabetes sucks.  I have had this for 13 years and I still hate it.  I will say it again.  I hate having diabetes, it sucks.  It sucks that it pretty much happens for no reason.  It sucks having to take shots or to wear a pump.  Checking your blood sugar?  Sucks.  It sucks that I may pass it on to my son or any other future children that I have.  It sucks that I'm at risk for some pretty serious complications.

Nope, you will never EVER hear me sing the praises of my diabetes.  That's perfectly okay with me, because that's the reality.  It's a disease that won't go away, is expensive, and never allows you to "ignore" the nutritional intake of your food.  That doesn't mean that I sit around all day and sulk about having diabetes either.

The truth is you deal with it, and you don't let it control your life.  You don't let it dictate what you can and cannot do.

Everyone's got there "thing."  This is just mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment